It is said that moving and changing jobs are some of the most stressful things you will ever do in your life, especially doing both at the same time! Relocating to another country is a challenging experience and of course, change may be difficult. So, your best bet is to stay calm and focused and make plenty of lists!
Where and how do you start the process once you’ve decided to relocate to the Cayman Islands after you get your work permit approved?
It can seem intimidating when you first think about relocating. But fear not, it can be done and with a little planning it can and does happen smoothly. You’ll find that there are many people who have done it before, especially in the Cayman Islands, and are now on hand to assist you.
Before you leave your home country for Cayman you may need to take few things into consideration:
- Consider the cost of living in the Cayman Islands, as it may differ tremendously (depending on where you are relocating from)
- For new arrivals on island, it would be cheaper and simpler to rent furnished accommodation near your new job. It’s always a good idea to take your time getting to know the island before committing to your lease.
- If you are relocating with children then looking into adding their names to school waiting lists is essential far in advance of your move. The spaces are very competitive and highly sought after.
- Ensure your cellphone is compatible to be unlocked and when you arrive on Island go to a cellphone store, have your phone unlocked and get a new SIM card.
- Remember that the immigration process can take anywhere from 1-8 weeks and don’t book your plane ticket until your permit has been approved
- Setting up a bank account requires a bank reference letter from your new employer which can be gained as soon as you arrive on island
Orientation is very important because it places a foundation for the new starter’s entire career with the company. Without orientation, a new employee sometimes feels uncomfortable in his/her new position and living environment and it may take longer to reach their full potential, especially after relocating.
Below are few pointers that will give a better understanding of why orientation is highly important:
- It provides the new starter with concise and accurate information to make him/her more comfortable in the job
- New employees will feel more encouraged, confident and helps to adapt faster to the job
- Contributes to a more effective, productive workforce
- Promotes communication between the supervisor and the new employee
For more information on the above, please contact a member of the SteppingStones team using: email@example.com