Animal Shelter Operations Manager
SteppingStones are delighted to be partnering with the Cayman Islands Humane Society, the country’s only Non-Profit rehoming facility, in their search for a dedicated Operations Manager.
This organisation operates adoption, stray care and community veterinary and support schemes with a huge foster and volunteer network. They are an open-admission shelter with a no-kill ethos and are based in the heart of George Town in Grand Cayman, with occasional TNR & neutering deployments to the smaller Islands for their vet team.
They are currently seeking an experienced and dedicated Manager to lead the shelter team, oversee the Society’s daily and strategic operations and to drive change and innovation. Reporting directly to the board of directors, the Manager will be the most senior employee and the business face of the Society. This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic and dedicated team of staff and volunteers and to play a pivotal role in the development of the Society.
Key Duties, Responsibilities and Requirements
- Managing staff and providing effective leadership to a team of managers, animal carers, veterinary professionals, and volunteers;
- Managing all aspects of the shelter, veterinary practice, Book Loft and Thrift Shop;
- Review, amend and implement processes in line with policy and strategic direction;
- Advise the Board of Directors’ policy, planning and strategy decisions as well as amendments to mission, vision and aim;
- Overall responsibility for HR and recruitment decisions;
- Financial planning, budgeting, procurement, purchasing, and overall responsibility for the Shelter’s finances;
- Playing a pivotal role in the establishment of a new shelter facility;
- Liaising with external stakeholders to further the reputation and aims of the Society;
- Attendance at board meetings and liaising and working closely with the board of directors on long and short-term planning;
- Drafting policies, updating procedures and maintaining best practices in line with relevant international standards;
- Training and development of junior managers, staff and volunteers;
- 45 hours’ per week, plus additional weekends and evenings as required.
Key Skills and Qualifications
- At least 5 years’ experience as an Operations Manager or similar role within a shelter environment;
- Knowledge of organisational effectiveness and operations management;
- Experience in budgeting, forecasting and cash-flow management;
- Familiarity with business, HR AND financial principles;
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and oral
- Leadership ability of multidiscipline teams
- IT literary including MS Word, Excel and desirable to have MS Projects
- Full drivers’ licence
- Experience with shelter-metrics
- Knowledge of shelter medicine, behaviour and ethology
- Spanish language skills desirable