Job is no longer active.
Please click here to see all current available jobs.
Animal Welfare Assistant
SteppingStones are delighted to be assisting the Cayman Islands Humane Society in their search for an Animal Welfare Assistant. This is a varied and exciting role which is vital to the effective running of the shelter – a full job description is included below.
Description of Job
The animal welfare assistant will be responsible for reporting and following up on animal welfare cases, communicating with and supervising visitors, volunteers and staff as well as handling animals and helping out with animal care if needed. Working hours will be 7am – 5pm five days a week including Saturday, plus every third Sunday. The animal welfare assistant will also be required to cover the emergency phone for out-of-hours assistance on a rotation basis, one week in three. The animal welfare assistant will report to the Shelter Manager.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Supervise Animal Caregivers and volunteers in the absence of the managers
- Reception and community liaison
- Ensuring biosecurity measures are being met within the shelter to prevent disease outbreak
- Liaise with Animal Welfare Officers at the DOA and police, reporting animal abuse and neglect, following up to the case end.
- Accept and release animals, completing all required paperwork accurately and ensuring the animal’s welfare is protected
- Cover emergency phone and animal pickups
- Provide excellent customer service to community members in need of services and support
- Maintains forms used with the goals of proper data collection, and provision of low-cost veterinary care to community via payment plans.
- To clean kennels, feed, water and medicate animals if required.
- Drive the shelter van to transport animals and pick up supplies.
- To uphold the Cayman Islands Humane Society mission and promote its goals
- Other tasks as required
Years of experience: More than 5 years
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to speak, read and write good English
- Trustworthy and reliable
- Understands importance of animal welfare
- Experience of working with animals and ability to handle animals humanely and confidently
- Accurate and timely record keeping
- Willingness to uphold the shelters policies
- Data entry experience
- Able to use Microsoft Office
- Driving License and must be at least 25 years old
- Experience of supervising others
- Physically fit and capable of lifting 55lbs
- Clean police record
Required education: High School or Equivalent
Preferred education: Animal care and welfare certificates
Minimum salary: $10.00 per hour
Maximum salary: $12.00 per hour
Hours per week: 45
If you are an animal lover and have the requisite skills, experience and enthusiasm for this role, please apply today!