Some rules for Life (and Recruitment)
I recently read a post on LinkedIn written by Ryan Noland; Head of Growth @ CITCON called “General Rules For Life”. A lot of these rules rang true for me and funnily enough related to Recruitment (in my opinion).
Therefore, I decided to write my own list of rules, using some of Mr. Noland’s and adding in a few of my own.
These rules specifically relate to Recruitment and come from what I’ve learned in the last 2 years working for SteppingStones Recruitment.
My rules for Recruitment (and Life)
- Never shake a man’s hand sitting down.
- In a negotiation, never make the first offer.
- Act like you’ve been there before. Especially in the end zone. (or an interview.)
- When entrusted with a secret, keep it. – Confidentiality is key.
- Don’t fill up on bread.
- When shaking hands, grip firmly and look the person in the eye.
- Don’t let a wishbone grow where a backbone should be.
- Be like a duck. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like crazy underneath.
- Never turn down a breath mint.
- First impressions matter.
- Work hard, play hard.
- Don’t be late; be 5 minutes early.
- Celebrate the small wins as much as the big ones.
- Smile daily.
- Drink Champagne.
Do you have a set of rules?